The Ascending Mage series is page-burning modern urban fantasy with a kick-ass heroine and magic that will grab you by the throat.
In this series, you’ll discover an ancient race of wizards and changelings living in secret among humans in North Dakota.
About the Ascending Mage series
There are a lot of great series these days. So what can you expect from this one?
Themes you’ll find in the Ascending Mage series:
- Think: if Harry Dresden was an English woman sent to rural America.
- A strong female lead who starts uncertain and a little bit naive but grows into a force to be reckoned with.
- As strong as Ember Wright is, the foes aligned against her are considerable. Victory is never going to be easy or come without a cost.
- No romance, but there’s a subtle love story element. (This is not “chick lit”).
- Realistic adult psychology and emotions. (No silly assassin-by-night, soccer mom-by-day)
- Developing friendships, supportive community, painful defeats, triumphant victories, and kick ass action.
- No sex scenes.
- Dialog contains conversational swearing, sometimes vulgar at times.
- Violence, sometimes graphic; this isn’t a kids’ story.
- Magic is present in this world, but it’s not overwhelming. (There’s nobody so overpowered she could just wiggle her nose and vaporize a city!)
- Personal freedom versus a corrupt, autocratic establishment (guess which side Ember’s on!)
- A global, persistent story arc; these aren’t standalone novels. (That’s also why there’s a numeral in the titles; don’t you hate when reading order isn’t obvious?)
- Lighthearted, laugh-out-loud moments sprinkled throughout it all.
- Characters you’ll love… And others you’ll sure love to hate!